Saturday 16 May 2009

Down This Road The Soldiers Came

My Mum's just got Digital TV and there's a History Channel on it. She knows I'm a history fan, so I watched it at her house with her. Jaw dropping, really. If you are talking about Cleopatra nowadays it seems you have to have an actress dressed up as an ancient Egyptian and looking, well, stern. And if you are talking about Julius Caesar then you have an actor dressed up as a Roman and looking, well, stern again. Apparently Mark Anthony was pretty stern too (and there you go, I thought he was a bit of a lad).


The title of this blog entry is taken from the opening words of a series called The World At War. World At War was made during the golden era of TV, and it is still considered to be a benchmark for TV documentaries. It's so good that I have the entire series on DVD. In the special features on the DVD set, the producer, Jeremy Isaacs, laid down his rules for the making of the series.


'The reconstruction of history on film is not only, unless it is clearly labelled, deceptive in itself; it also devalues authentic material used alongside it.'


It's good to know that these words of wisdom have been properly digested by modern programme makers. Not.


So back to February 2007 and ..... No! those authorised regional officers didn't visit. I think you were probably beginning to suspect they wouldn't. But look at the letter, honestly, they will be visiting me soon.




Oh Michelle! So little time together, and yet I think I know you so well.


What a relief, we can resolve this soon then. Even better, they tell me there's an enforcement team just for the small, middle class, relatively law-abiding town that I live in. With so few people to 'attend to', it really, really cannot be long now. But no, wait. My belief in my neighbours is shattered. TV Licensing have caught no less than 1318 people in the last three months alone. It's anarchy here!

No comments: