Sunday 17 May 2009

We Must Stop Meeting Like This

I know now that a really good stern letter will get you a respite of a year or so. Just long enough for me to have moments when I forget about the people who have been running roughshod over my peace and serenity. I was just beginning to hope that TV Licensing had finally gotten the message that I don't watch TV.


There's an article that gives me some hope. The BBC Trust has expressed concerns over the methods used by the agency, which is contracted by the BBC to collect and administer the TV Licence fee. But then I read the date on the article. I don't manage to laugh although there is some grim humour there.



A private company has the power to require action of me?



Did I miss you? No, actually



The only sense in which I'll see the back of them?


Fashions come and fashions go. It appears that, for 2009, letters from TV Licensing will be sporting a new, thinner look. A4 is just so 2008! Oh and there's a new name and a new post for the supposed letter writer, if he exists. But one thing stays the same: the content of these letters. The threats. The same logic is still there. If I don't reply their enforcement team will visit. If I do reply then they will visit. I have to say that I don't know why my 'details will be passed to the enforcement team'. They had my details long ago, along with enough authorisations to sink a battleship and refloat it afterwards.


It is this latest eruption into my otherwise peaceful life that prompts me to put my record of how TV Licensing behaves on the web. It's difficult to sleep when you are under attack and are powerless to strike back. By publicising their behaviour I may feel that I haven't just lain back and let them walk all over me. Perhaps I won't spend the night going over all of this in my head, time after time. It's not much, but maybe I'll get to sleep before dawn.

No comments: